Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mezraq dethroned?

Mezraq: DMG:93 Delay:492 STR+2 VIT+2 Additional effect: Impairs evasion
    Thalassocrat: DMG:94 Delay:492 HP+10 DEX+2 VIT+2 Enhances "Resist Virus" effect Additional effect: Impairs evasion

AFAIK, the proc is the same, and for most purposes resist virus and +10 hp can be ignored. (If you were choosing a weapon for survivability in something like solo or campaign you'd choose Iron Ram Lance anyway.) So basically the tradeoff is 2 STR on Mezraq vs. 1 DMG and 2 DEX on Thalassocrat (plus the atk/acc those stats produce, which is either 1 or 2 points depending on rounding.)

Both STR and DEX have several useful effects, so it's hard to gauge how overall DPS would be affected by changing between the two (keeping all other factors constant). Probably there wouldn't be any very noticeable difference.

Jacaranda lumber doesn't have any AH history on my server, but if it's not completely ridiculous to obtain, Thalassocrat could be a hell of a lot cheaper to make than Mezraq (which is absurdly expensive ever since Salvage came out, because of the resulting enormous demand for imperial wootz). The other ingredients aren't anything too horrible (adaman ingots, which are likely to fall once more people start doing the new past-Bastok quest and replace all the ones sucked out of the economy for GB7).
    Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
    RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
    All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Re: Mezraq dethroned?

Price of Mezraq has dropped drastically on Seraph.

Seems people are akin to the Thalassocrat
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Jacaranda lumber is going for about 200,000 on my server. It took me about, oh, an hour, to an hour and a half of logging to get one I think. Kinda hard to say exactly because I spent a couple of attempts at it, with and without competition. Plus I had to find the logging points.

Myself personally, I think the Thalassocrat is probably the better of the two. The Mezraq has only dropped in price because of so many being sold at once. I'd expect it's price to pick back up after the inital rush is over.

Also, I thought that 1 point of damage is worth something like 4 Str, or is that wrong?

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

It's not wrong, exactly, but it's misleading. STR has many effects and one of them is that approximately 4 fSTR (your STR - target's VIT, and normally a DRG can't change their target's VIT) = +1 DMG. But if the only difference between two weapons were 1 DMG vs. 4 STR, the 4 STR weapon would be better: str also gives you more atk, and is a modifier for a lot of ws (including most/all polearm ws).

Between the Thalassocrat being much cheaper to synth, and having near-equal or possibly superior stats, I doubt if many more mezraqs will be synthed ever again. What would be the point? (Unless SE introduces another source of khroma and makes imperial wootz reasonably priced...)
        Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
        All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

If you already have a Mezraq, there's no reason not to hang on to it.

If you're choosing between the two and buying/crafting one, go with the Thalassocrat.

I logged the Jacaranda log and it took about 3 days. The easter even didn't help either. lol

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
            If you already have a Mezraq, there's no reason not to hang on to it.
            I would disagree with that characterization. Mezraq has a large price tag. If you can ride a price disparity between Mezraq and Thalassocrat then you can stand to make a good bit of cash off of the trade without losing any combat effectiveness. You just have to strike when the moment is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
              I would disagree with that characterization. Mezraq has a large price tag. If you can ride a price disparity between Mezraq and Thalassocrat then you can stand to make a good bit of cash off of the trade without losing any combat effectiveness. You just have to strike when the moment is right.
              With the current market for it, that won't happen any time soon. I could see it as a possiblilty down the line but I don't expect the price to ever really recover. Prices are at 33-50% of what they were before the update and the Thalassocrat is more costly now despite the cheaper ingredients.

The difference between the two seems mostly negligible.

So currently, if you have a Mezraq, you can hold onto it and be just as viable as you were before. The problem is, most of us went 'oooh! shiny!' when we saw the new polearm and in the process destroyed the old market.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Mezraq out parses the new lance.
                [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

This isn't a very helpful statement standing alone. Against what mobs, in what party setup, with what merits and food, wearing what other gear? Does it beat Thalassocrat in regular damage, jump damage, WS damage (with what WS?) or some combination, and by how much?

And in particular, how long was the parse and how statistically significant is the difference?

Thalassocrat should crit *slightly* more, because of the dex, and also be *slightly* more accurate; but in a short parse either or both effects could be swamped by luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
                    This isn't a very helpful statement standing alone. Against what mobs, in what party setup, with what merits and food, wearing what other gear? Does it beat Thalassocrat in regular damage, jump damage, WS damage (with what WS?) or some combination, and by how much?

And in particular, how long was the parse and how statistically significant is the difference?

Thalassocrat should crit *slightly* more, because of the dex, and also be *slightly* more accurate; but in a short parse either or both effects could be swamped by luck.
                    Trying to get the parse log from a friend.

ABout identical gear, about 670 fights, merits about the same. Mamools target difference about 4%.

Comment

How can a Mezraq outparse the new lance?

The main difference between the two of them is Mezraq has a damage rating of 93 and +2Str, Thalassocrat has a damage rating of 94 and +2Dex.

I could be wrong, but I just can't see +2str beating out +1 extra damage on WS, Jumps, and normal hits.

Trying to get the parse log from a friend.

ABout identical gear, about 670 fights, merits about the same. Mamools target difference about 4%.
                      Could you post the gear and the merits? I'm a little bit suspicious that the reason that the Mezraq parsed higher is due to the difference between the two gear/merit setups. The difference between the two weapons is so small that they should be fairly close, and I'd expect the new lance to be slightly ahead of the Mezraq.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I know the merits:
                        5 jump
                        5 high jump
                        3 angon
                        3 deep breathing
                        8 polearm
                        5 str
                        4 crit

of the merits that would effect the parse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sevv View Post
                          effect the parse
                          Affect.

/nitpick
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Dude, it's Sevv. You just kind of have to roll with that sort of thing.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot.
                              No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                              Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                              GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                              However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                              Matthew 16:15

Comment

Working...
                              X