A duo dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A duo dilemma

Hello everyone. I've been lurking around this forum for a while, but I am now in need of some advice and figured I might find some here.

I am currently a 48 DRG/BLU and my partner plays DNC/NIN. We've duo'd every step of the way since level 1 and it's been a pretty amazing combination. In fact, the only time either of us die is when House comes on and she starts paying more attention to the TV than my HP. Right now, though, we are having some trouble. We are lacking a decent camp to exp at for the next few levels. I've done a fair amount of research and checked several different guides, and this is what I've come up with:

Goblin pets in Cape Terrigan - We tried this out, and well.. it was full of fail. There are so many Beach Bunnies around that it's nearly impossible to pull the pets without links.

Desert Beetles in West Altepa - We did this from 47-48, and it was acceptable for a little bit, if only because we were trying out Emperor Band. Even with the exp bonus we were barely making a little more than 5k/hour, and once it wore off and we both leveled exp dropped down to less than 3k an hour. They're terribly weak, but just take so long to kill it's not even worth the effort.

Lynx in Meriphataud Mountains [s] - A possibility I just recently discovered but have yet to actually try. Their level range seems reasonable and they certainly aren't beetles or crabs, but I'm a little worried about their TP moves. If anyone has tried this I would appreciate some input about them.

Crawler's Nest - This place has such an enormous level range I am almost positive there would be something here to exp on, but it's full of several things we like to try and avoid if we can: Parties, Beetles and Crawlers. Hornflies seem like a possibility, but I don't know if we'd find a camp with strictly Hornfly onry.

Cockatrice in Onzozo - Again, worried about their TP moves. Though right now I am considering this the next option to try out.

This is pretty much all I have come up with so far. If anyone has some insight or advice about the camps I've listed or maybe knows of another camp that may work it would be most appreciated.

Some additional information:
    Neither of us have access to CoP areas yet (these are our highest jobs and we're not in a real linkshell)
    We have WotG access and most maws unlocked. Exp camps near pixies are ftw.
    My gear - http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?185560
    I do have some other things like Life belt and STR rings, I just wear whatever is needed when it's needed. Accuracy usually isn't a big issue since we're always fighting EM-low VT.

I am looking forward to any feedback. Thanks in advance for any help you all may provide.

500 hours in MS paint

Re: A duo dilemma

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like Beetles?

With Aspir Samba, you shouldn't run out of MP very easily for triggering Healing Breath.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

We try to avoid Beetles and Crabs because they are both PLD mobs and tend to take much more time to kill. It's true we never have to rest vs mobs with MP, but we rarely make it past chain 3 with the time it takes to kill them. The Desert Beetles also have a large level range (47-51) so with some now being DC we lose even more chains.

Crawlers are pretty much the same story, they're only squishy until Cocoon is used, and then I'm just swinging at a brick wall.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Do you usually end up tanking? Is it 50/50?

I was going to say Cockatrice and have you tank the majority of the time, but it appears Healing Waltz doesn't remove petrification. Still, might be worth a shot if they're on the lower end of the level spectrum.

It's great that you have woodsmans and certainly think you should hold onto them. But you're still geared a lot more like a party DRG than you need to be. Considering the level of mobs you guys are fighting, that's basically damage taken +5%. If you swap your belt to Life belt and your rings to something like your STR rings or a pair of Mighty Rings, you'll end up with the same stats w/out evasion -10. I'd also be looking into Nomad's Mantle or similar evasion-upping pieces (would counteract the earrings which I'd consider taking off but -4 evasion isn't much to worry about). Also, I'm not sure what the magic slacks stats will do for a drg/blu. I'm under the impression that any spellcasting you're doing is Cocoon and HB triggers? So none of them should get a boost. Still, I don't know your leg options for that level so party on.

Your gear is definitely good enough that the above suggestions would just be for "optimizing" and wouldn't really change what kills you guys and what doesn't so... back to mobs.

Looks like Demons in Xarcabard are actually 48-52. I bet you could set up a decent camp @entrance to Castle Zvahl and kill for quite a while. Their WSs aren't as bad as people like to think. Don't stand next to each other and avoid both being caught in the cone attacks and the DNC will Healing Waltz as needed (just blind and slow -- but the slow is 50% so Waltz it off ASAP). Also, Demons just inside the castle are 50-52, but there'll be evil eyes among them.

Also, all beastmen are of-a-level inside of Castle Zvahl, apparently. But who likes beastmen, anyway? Moving on I see saplings in Lufaise, crabs and pugils (boo and boo!) in Toraimarai Canal,
        certain antica (worse than crawlers), Soul Stingers in CN (scary?), and a bunch of worse mobs.

Final Fantasy XI - somepage.com
        I'd push for saplings or demons, but I have no idea how those guys will turn out in practice (I just know the status effects they give will be moot for you 2).
        "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

But if you're fighting beetles, the risk is minimal. Chain 3 is good in my opinion, considering you're a duo. I know what you mean though, I avoid them too, but the fact that they are not very offensive they make solo pets.

3k/hour solo is very good considering your level. If you try to look for alternatives you're going to get yourself killed and you'll end up with NEGATIVE gain on EXP instead of positive.

As for crawler's nest, there's hornflies everywhere in the basement. Surely it cannot be that crowded down there? And it seems like you're trying to avoid just about everything down there. Crawlers ... Beetles ... parties ... 3 of the most common things. What else is left? Saplings, mushrooms, scorpions, all 3 are even more undesirable.

Ok, so you're level 48. Go to ... Fei'Yin. Go to the basement level. There are millions and millions of "Underworld Bats" (trio bat types) levels 50-52. Once you hit 50 or 51 there, head to the basement of Garliage, again, millions of Funnel Bats there levels 51-55. At 53~54 odd, head to Bostaunieux Oubliette, there are millions of "Werebats" (single bat type) there levels 55-59. Being a DRG you'll tear bats up. Plus they're relatively harmless.

Watch out for magic aggro in Fei'Yin, and sight aggro of beetles in Garliage. Sound/Undead aggro in Bostaunieux Oubliette. Let us know if you have any more questions.
          [LadyKiKi]
          Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
          .:|The Prototype BST|:.
          Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop View Post
            Do you usually end up tanking? Is it 50/50?

I was going to say Cockatrice and have you tank the majority of the time, but it appears Healing Waltz doesn't remove petrification. Still, might be worth a shot if they're on the lower end of the level spectrum.

It's great that you have woodsmans and certainly think you should hold onto them. But you're still geared a lot more like a party DRG than you need to be. Considering the level of mobs you guys are fighting, that's basically damage taken +5%. If you swap your belt to Life belt and your rings to something like your STR rings or a pair of Mighty Rings, you'll end up with the same stats w/out evasion -10. I'd also be looking into Nomad's Mantle or similar evasion-upping pieces (would counteract the earrings which I'd consider taking off but -4 evasion isn't much to worry about). Also, I'm not sure what the magic slacks stats will do for a drg/blu. I'm under the impression that any spellcasting you're doing is Cocoon and HB triggers? So none of them should get a boost. Still, I don't know your leg options for that level so party on.

Your gear is definitely good enough that the above suggestions would just be for "optimizing" and wouldn't really change what kills you guys and what doesn't so... back to mobs.
            I am the one tanking most of the time, unless something has gone wrong. I usually do wear STR rings over Woodsman and Swordbelt over Life belt for the extra defense, but I carry all the accuracy gear with me in case it's needed. The Magic cuisses I wear only because they have the same defense as Dino trousers but cost significantly less.

Originally posted by Lmnop
            Looks like Demons in Xarcabard are actually 48-52. I bet you could set up a decent camp @entrance to Castle Zvahl and kill for quite a while. Their WSs aren't as bad as people like to think. Don't stand next to each other and avoid both being caught in the cone attacks and the DNC will Healing Waltz as needed (just blind and slow -- but the slow is 50% so Waltz it off ASAP). Also, Demons just inside the castle are 50-52, but there'll be evil eyes among them.
            Originally posted by LadyKiKi
            Ok, so you're level 48. Go to ... Fei'Yin. Go to the basement level. There are millions and millions of "Underworld Bats" (trio bat types) levels 50-52. Once you hit 50 or 51 there, head to the basement of Garliage, again, millions of Funnel Bats there levels 51-55. At 53~54 odd, head to Bostaunieux Oubliette, there are millions of "Werebats" (single bat type) there levels 55-59. Being a DRG you'll tear bats up. Plus they're relatively harmless.
            Will definitely look into these. I was hoping for a response from LadyKiKi

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Glad to help.

I would also like to quickly mention that the bats in Fei'Yin and Garliage will most likely link, but the Werebats in Bostanuex~~~~~ would NOT link, but all 3 do most likely aggro as well.

Being a duo I would think those spots are the most ideal and you should kill quite fast, although down in Bostaunieux Oubliette there's no absolute camp, but .......... one camp I can think of is the West Ronfaure EXIT camp, where there's a line of 4-5 bats and no other undead/aggro. Can just pull and go up the steps and that'll be a camp.

EDIT: That camp in Bostaunieux Oubliette is vunerable to soloists, PUPs, BSTs, parties, retards, NPC levellers.
              [LadyKiKi]
              Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
              .:|The Prototype BST|:.
              Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Fighting anything other than piercing weak enemies is really going to slow down XP (unless they are pets). I had to avoid triple bats since I didn't have Erase in my SAM/WAR (polearm) and RDM/WHM duo. They are definitely worth a try in your duo. Flys were my preference after single bats and birds for obvious reasons.

I did Dragonflys instead of Werebats, so I cannot comment on those. The Esbats (Lv59-61) in Uleguerand Range is where I went next, but I think I remember now that they drain MP. Eventually you will get to enjoy really easy duoing against Marsh Murre (Lv64-67) in Caedarva Mire.

Sounds like a fun pair. Enjoy!

P.S. - Don't expect to often see more than 4k per hour without an XP ring. I averaged about 5k since I rarely XPed for more than 2 hours at a time. You might do better though since my RDM could not melee, and I leveled before the improvements to 2-handed weapons.
                Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 03-16-2008, 08:01 PM. Reason: Remembered Esbats drain MP

Comment

Well, we just got done trying out the bats in Fei'Yin. It was going pretty well, we were getting somewhere between 6-7k an hour, but Fei'Yin is a scary place. So many magic aggro mobs and mobs behind doors.

For the record, I think it's absolutely retarded that mobs can both detect and attack you through doors.

We were doing pretty well, but ended up dying because I missed 5 or 6 times in a row (Low evasion means nothing apparently), my partner pulled hate and went down to a Jet Stream. I lived, but decided since we had no way of raising I was going to have to die anyway, so I tested my "mobs can't possibly see through a solid door" theory.

For now we are going to use up the rest of our exp rings on other jobs and try Fei'Yin again tomorrow. We are both too lazy to run all the way out there again at 2am x_x

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

I'm really impressed that DRG/BLU with ~33% HP can handle Jet Stream. How much DMG does Jet Stream hit you for with Cocoon active? Do you also use defense food?

I understand your experiences will be dramatically different from mine as SAM/WAR with attack food and berserk. I mostly relied on Seigan+Third Eye to stay alive without overly draining my partner. I had planned on one day leveling DRG/BLU if I ever found a friend interested in FFXI, so I find your experiences very interesting.

Better luck next time. ^_^

Comment

You should really try to fight mobs that are weak to piercing damage whenever possible. Also, I highly recommend EXPing in the past if you can. Sigil is just ever so broken...
                      sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ryoii/Nonomii View Post
                        I'm really impressed that DRG/BLU with ~33% HP can handle Jet Stream. How much DMG does Jet Stream hit you for with Cocoon active? Do you also use defense food?

I understand your experiences will be dramatically different from mine as SAM/WAR with attack food and berserk. I mostly relied on Seigan+Third Eye to stay alive without overly draining my partner. I had planned on one day leveling DRG/BLU if I ever found a friend interested in FFXI, so I find your experiences very interesting.

Better luck next time. ^_^

I don't remember specifics, but on average I'd say Jet Stream was doing 90-140. There were some as high as 200, but that only happened once or twice. The idea of using defense food actually never crossed my mind; we've both always used attack food.

I think we may actually be one level early for Fei'Yin, a lot of the bats are still VT. Doable, but a little rough, but still a lot better than beetles as far as exp per hour went. We're both thinking once we level things will be much smoother until 50. That's about as far as we'll get for now, these are our highest jobs and we're still capped at 50 and without any ideas as to how we're doing genkai 1.

You should really try to fight mobs that are weak to piercing damage whenever possible. Also, I highly recommend EXPing in the past if you can. Sigil is just ever so broken...
                        I try to find camps in the past when I can (she makes me find all the camps x_x). Our last camp was on the Colibri in East Ronfaure S. I wish we could have leveled there forever.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Rawr of course I make you look for all the camps, I always get us there!

And thank you everyone for the suggestions~

Comment

Just to comment on your original post, stay away from the Lynx. They are a pain and are probably not worth the effort. Their AOE moves hurt like a bitch.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

For the winnnnn.

We stopped there because it was already past 6am. We're probably going to cap exp in 50 and then attempt to find assistance for Genkai 1. I hate these "go fetch X amount of uber rare items" quests, but meh, it must be done. Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Working...
                              X