Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vyu's impressions of the update (because yes we really needed another thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vyu's impressions of the update (because yes we really needed another thread)

Well, got into a exp party at the Mire and got to see the results of this latest patch.

At first impression, I was not happy, I will admit.

WS tested were:

Wheeling Thrust:

Average damage: 450-500

Lowest damage: 398

Highest damage: 643

Penta Thrust:

Average damage: 650ish

Lowest damage: 322

Highest damage: 783

Skewer:

Average damage: 600

Lowest damage: 457

Highest damage: 723

Now prior to this my average damage was more in the 750 range for all of these weapon skills with my highest damage being more in the 900 range with outliers in the 1100 range. While they were outliers they were also not uncommon outliers.

Since I wrote down my highest and lowest damage on paper, and just eyeballed the averages. I will say that these averages are assuming all hits connected, Penta Thrust and Skewer average damage was lower than that actually, mostly due to hits missing. However when all hits connected from these two WS that was about the average damage inflicted.

Food was Yellow Curry and this was done as Drg/Sam.

Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the rest of my performance in the party. My per hit damage has gone down a bit, but I've lost about 25 or so attack due to the changes to the str/att ratio. My average damage was in the 110-170 or so range, although I did get some rather odd hits in at the 70-80 range which puzzled me, about 5 of these in about an hours worth of exp.

My accuracy seemed to be about.... 83%-90% I think. I didn't miss alot, just enough to annoy me after coming from an almost 100% accuracy rate prior to this.

So, all things considered, I'm pretty happy with per hit performance, there's more +acc gear I can get if I really want to but my accuracy right now with what I consider basic +acc gear (Woodsman/Venerer Ring, Fowling/Assault Earring, Warwolf belt, Assault Jerkin) is in a comfortable range for me.

Now initially I was a bit unhappy about these results, however when you think about it, the PDif formula for all jobs got changed, so all jobs are experiancing a similar reduction to their WS (maybe with the exception of rangers).

Now let's think about this for a moment, what's the big main thing about TP burns that make them go so quickly? It's WS spammage. Reduce the power of the WS in general and suddenly SC + MB starts to look more appealing and Blm invites may increase as a result.

Furthermore, as I was thinking about this it occured to me that I considered /Sam to be the dominant subjob right now, it just hadn't clicked into place in my head despite my planning Drg/sam this and War/sam that and ohmygosh is Smn/sam a possiblity?!?!?!

Now I think that Samurai is on a fairly even keel with Warrior as a subjob. I have gear to boost my accuracy as /war that I would not wear on /sam, while I get abilities to boost my per hit damage. I get gear to boost my per hit damage as /sam that I would not wear on /war, while I get abilities to increase the amount of times that I WS and SC.

This seems pretty balanced between the two to me at this time, although it's something I have to look more into.

Furthermore, the most shocking thing of all occured in my exp party:

The Pld actually kept hate!

No longer was I tanking as Drg/sam, and frankly that woke me up to the fact that yes, maybe things were getting imbalanced when tanks could not hold hate against the premier hate shedding job. The last little while before this last update I had to exp with Seigan/Third Eye constantly up because I would consistantly draw hate and hold it from the tanks, despite my trying not to for the most part. This is not an issue anymore, which, I for one am glad of.

There was something else that occured to me that I wanted to say but I can't think of it right now, it'll probably come to me later.

My only real complaint about this update?

Wheeling Thrust seems to be as weak or weaker than it was before the 1st 2handed update, it seems decidedly weaker than Penta Thrust/Skewer. I would like Wheeling Thrust's damage increased a little bit to be more comparable to Penta Thrust/Skewer's damage.

However I have always been attracted to the Wheeling Thrust WS for whatever reason since day 1 in Vana'Diel, so that may just be a bit of Wheeling Thrust fanboyism speaking, I'm not sure. However what I do want is for things to be comparable, so that there is no clear cut answer between, "Is X better or Y?".

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Re: Vyu's impressions of the update (because yes we really needed another thread)

It's a damn shame really... had SE not adjusted 2 handed again SMN/WAR or SMN/SAM might have actually worked o. O
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Working...
    X