Quick Royal Jelly question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Royal Jelly question.

I've gotten to around 1000 beastman seals and decided to take my first shot-
    at the bcnm "Royal Jelly".

There were the usual shouts in Jueno for this fight,so I sent a reply.
    Was told that I would have to sub /rdm for it.
    Why would'nt /war work?
    The goal is to kill them as quickly as possible right?

Please keep in mind that this will be my first bcnm.Will probrably get owned the
    first time through.
    All the DRG veterans of this bcnm please share your tactics.

Thank you......
    A Warrior's place is not to die,

But to allow others to live.....

Re: Quick Royal Jelly question.

I am not a Dragoon, but I have done this BCNM with a Dragoon and he subbed
    Warrior. Our set up was Dragoon, Paladin (me), and Whitemage. Both the Dragoon
    and I set up for DD. (I used Greatsword, and any other DD stuff I could find)

For the fight the Dragoon and I tried to kill the mobs as fast as we could while the
    Whitemage tried to slow the other jellies down. This was the first BCNM we ever
    did and it was ridiculously easy. (my Greatsword wasn't even capped ) Even
    with me as a gimp DD we were able to win every time with no problems. We had
    a skill chain to help with damage also.

One thing though, our drops were pretty bad. Best thing I got from this was
    a Utsusemi: Ni scroll, and I most of the runs yielded crap.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck.

Comment

I've seen my sister(a WHM) do this several times with her Dragoon friend and I never saw the dragoon use /rdm...then again I was just an observer...
      Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
      (have fun MMO players ^^)
      Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

If you're going as Drg x2 for this BCNM, then you take Drg/Mage x2 and both go a different way each solo'ing one side and using healing breath to stay alive, as the wyvern's attack breath can heal a jelly if it gets it's element wrong, and also that you have no one there to support heal with that setup.

If you've got a dedicated healer on the go, then /War is more offensive, but... if you're not going for a record, then /Rdm or Whm is a lot safer.

Comment

Why would'nt /war work?
          You don't NEED to have a mage sub for this (drg/blm would work just as well FYI) however the mobs are fairly weak, so you can easily heal yourself thereby elimenating the need to bring a healer along. At least I suspect that's why they said you had to bring drg/rdm, what party setup did they have in mind for the bcnm run?

The goal is to kill them as quickly as you can, yes, in general, I like to go in as drg/rdm (rdm for fast cast and bar spells in case things hit the fan), and bring a whm and another DD with me. That is mostly because I only do BCNMs with LS members, and I am the only real dragoon in any of them. A LS friend has a lvl 43 dragoon, but he's the only other one and it's not really his main, anyway, I'm off the point

Basic strategy for this one, either bring in 2x drg/mage and anyother job you want, or 1 drg/mage, 1 healer, and 1 DD. You want to bring in a healer and the DD because you will want to split up, you take the left while they take the right. Any healer with access to cure II or cure III and regen will do just fine. The healer is there just to heal the DD, and to keep an eye on you in case you get into trouble. The reason you want to split up is because (if all 3 of you attack one jelly and move from jelly to jelly) once you get down to the last 4-5 jellies, there is a VERY good chance that at least 3 of them will hit you with a spell, each spell does about 80-100 damage. If they all hit you then you are dead. By splitting up you split their attention between you all, so no one person gets nuked.

We always used to do it by splitting up, until one day when a LS mate asked, "Hey, why do we always split up?" I learned that the hard way :/

Once you enter the bcnm, buff up and let the mage get back their mp before going in. The jellies just sit there until you actually enter the fighting arena. And by fighting arena, I mean the big open area that the jellies are sitting in. So you have plenty of time to regain MP, don't worry about time on this one, it's pretty easy.

Once everyone is ready, go in, split up, kick some jelly butt, and get that chest! Double thrust is better than Raiden thrust in this bcnm, and I've heard that the jellies absorb fire spells, but I have never tested this. IF they form the queen jelly, she will use tier I ~ga spells, and she will be more like fighting a normal jelly. Her health will be dependant on how many jellies formed her and how much HP they had.

Oh, and I would recommend using +str/att food and wearing the Battle gloves, you may miss every now and then, but it won't be a problem, and solves the attack issues. They cast bind, so you may get caught by bind right after killing a jelly, but it wears off quickly. Some MP+ gear is always nice, but not needed I think so long as you have 90-120ish mp you should be more than good and not need any mp drinks. As a mithra, I just wear my RSE, plenty of mp boosts, and the hp boosts are nice. I can't really think of anything else to add.

Drops are rather finicky with this one, I've gotten it good, as in erase and utsu Ni in one fight, but that was a bit of an exception, you can always hope for an Archer's ring though

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Done it with:

DRG/RDM (me)
            DRG/WAR (LS friend)
            WAR/NIN (LS friend)

First 2 fights not really a problem. All out assault. Going clockwise.

Although both were close, but that's because I took all the aggro and kept getting binded. Had I not been binded, it would've been much smoother. Still, I hit red HP a lot of times, but a few dia/poison sorted that out.

3rd fight WAR disconnected and didn't come back. A NIN/WAR in my linkshell came to take his place, whowas pretty much naked (AF1 Katanas, some odd scale armor, and something else). He spammed some spells which cured the jellies, until I screamed at him to stop lol. Still won with no problems.

Just as long as you are semi-decently equipped and eat attack food, you should be fine. If you got 2 other DRGs, you can do it with not much of a problem at all. The jellies cannot hit very hard, nor do their spells hurt.

I buffed us up with Shell all 3 times, just for some magic resistance. Never bothered with much else. Didn't even use my melon juice.

The other classic is 2 melee and a RDM, who will do the job of healing and gravitying/binding the jellies. Not needed in my opinion, I lead the run by saying I WON'T come as RDM, the WAR was a bit paranoid about us losing, but I explained to him the trade off of faster kills in sacrifice of gravity/bind. Worked fine in the end.

Shit drops though. 150k in total .........
            [LadyKiKi]
            Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
            .:|The Prototype BST|:.
            Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

I've done a couple of runs on this with a DRG and RNG from my LS

DRG was subbed /WAR, RNG/NIN, me RDM/BLM. The DRG and RNG each started at one side of the arena and worked their way backwards, RNG using Shadowbind on one and then Ranged attacking another. DRG was just ripping through them. I was casting Gravity and Bind on the other Jellies and healing the DRG (the RNG never really got damaged, but was killing quite a bit slower than DRG). All in all, a pretty easy BCNM, but fun.
              RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
              Bastok Rank 10 Completed
              Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
              Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
              Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Spinnthrift hit the nail on the head.
                Thanks Kazuki.
                Dragoon Equipment

Comment

I've always done War/Nin, Drk/Nin, and Rdm/Whm for convert. I've never actually done it as my Dragoon before.

They cast a lot of magic, and the shadows help soak up some of it. They're slow, and eventually converge in the center of the room so they'll get closer and more will be casting magic on you. They don't hurt so much, but it can get rouch if they cast Bind too much.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas.

I just wanted to make sure that the Drg/War combo I know best
                    would work on this.
                    I have subbed pld from time to time(for solo purpose only).
                    I'ts not the best mage sub I know but,It will get you out of trouble.

Gonna have to return to the dunes and get my red&white jobs
                    caught up to explore those subs as well.
                    "The Dunes" Just the thought of going back there gives my the willies.

Anyway Thank You to all who replied..........................
                    A Warrior's place is not to die,

But to allow others to live.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dadelon
                      I've gotten to around 1000 beastman seals and decided to take my first shot-
                      at the bcnm "Royal Jelly".

There were the usual shouts in Jueno for this fight,so I sent a reply.
                      Why would'nt /war work?

Please keep in mind that this will be my first bcnm.Will probrably get owned the
                      first time through.
                      All the DRG veterans of this bcnm please share your tactics.

Thank you......

The pt-leader may of wanted an all-Drg party and he himself forgot to level his own mage subjobs... LMAO. But yeah, considering a good RJ fight won't even last but 4-5mins, just barely enough time for Berserk to be gone, /war would be good in any case (assuming someone else is either Drg/Whm or a healer).

Comment

I've done this BC countless times and I always went as War/mnk with another DD and a healer/binder. I haven't lost this thing once and I've only seen one queen in all my runs and she died in one hit. I've never had the chance to go with a Drg, but I can see they'd be good in this one. I can also see why subbing Rdm or Whm could help as it would turn your ele breath into a healing breath. Not only would that save the mage some MP but it would prevent any of the jellies from absorbing the Dmg. The element that heals them is somewhat random every fight so thinks like elemental spells, breaths and even SCs could easily hurt you here.

But like everyone said, the drop rate is kinda meh. It's not unusual to go on a run and barely be able to break 100k from drops. Though the few good drops there are can be nice, there are other BCNM 40 that have better drops with similarly simple tactics.
                        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Out of the 30+ times I have done this, Archer's Ring has dropped twice. It dropped back to back on a 3 orb run. Also Erase and NI dropped with one of the rings. I did this last week and got some staves and slime oil. 3 orbs wasted. This bcnm is so easy, we got the record first time we tried it. Unless someone DC's or something, I seriously doubt I will ever see the queen jelly. It seems like this BCNM was desinged for drgs.
                          Thanks Kazuki.
                          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

wow... 1000 seals? I don't think I have ever topped 500 total in my FF career.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

1000 isn't much. Just think how fast it can go ...
                              [LadyKiKi]
                              Soloed to 75

[DRG | BST | PLD | NIN | RDM | THF | DRK | WHM | SAM]

all done via BST sub where applicable (no DRG/BST!)
                              .:|The Prototype BST|:.
                              Xtreme Precision Soloing [XPS]

Comment

Working...
                              X