Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretical Best Race?

Hi guys,

I've recently decided to make a new character and plan on having my main at 75 be COR. Before you all rant about how race doesn't matter, I think it's impossible to deny that an elvaan SAM with identical gear and skill in an identical situation as a Taru SAM will out DD the taru. Granted, the chances of something like that happening are almost impossible, but there are stat differences that affect the performance of a race in certain roles and situations.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of COR is that it is first and foremost a support role job, but it is set apart from bard by the ability to DD almost on par with traditional DD while lacking the variety of buffs and having buffs that differ in effectiveness based on the number you roll and party composition.

With that description, I believe that when selecting a race I should look for a race that has the highest DoT potential if I'm correct in my assumption that the potency of rolls aren't affected as a Bard's songs are by stats (CHR for M. Acc.). However, I'm a little blurry on the subs a Corsair would use in an endgame environment as well as in lolmeritparties, and certain sub choices might make me think differently about race.

From a little research, I've discerned that /rng and /war add the biggest boost to damage, /nin increases survivability and allows for safer pulls (This would be used mostly in a merit situation I'm assuming), and /dnc and /whm add the most to the support aspect of the job.

Now, my question is how often subs like DNC and WHM are used in an endgame environment. If /whm or /dnc is the norm, the damage potential would be severely gimped, perhaps making a race with more mp than others a good choice (tawu). Playing a Galka COR/WHM would require a lot of MP gear, reducing damage effectiveness even further.

To be the best COR I can be, should I focus on a race known for pumping out big numbers, a race that can fill a mage-y roll effectively, or something kinda right in the middle, like Hume.

Sorry for the wall of text, and when replying please don't tell me to choose the one that I like looking at the best. I don't roleplay and I'm not attracted to pixels, so choosing the most effective race is what I'm looking for ^-^

Thanks,

Bhellium

Re: Theoretical Best Race?

If you're absolutely determined to pretend race matters, play Hume. No matter what your main is, you're going to need to play other jobs, and being well-rounded in all of those jobs is going to pay off more than the marginal benefits of having the absolute perfect race for one job-- especially considering racial differences are strongest at low levels, where Taru tanks and Galka mages have very low HP/MP (respectively); as you get higher in level, racial differences become more and more irrelevant.

You're better off finding a race you enjoy playing, that will do far more good for your character than anything else. As someone who was accustomed to playing Taru, playing Galkas and Elvaan actually was somewhat uncomfortable due to the differences in camera perspective, as well as the fact that they feel slower (players have the same running speed, so smaller characters feel faster). If you play the game even marginally more because you like your character more, you'll go a lot farther than the few extra points in a stat you get from race.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that what is expected of you at endgame will almost certainly change as more jobs and mobs are added, as SE makes tweaks to the battle system, adds new job abilities, traits, and spells. Focusing your character towards damage when your role may later switch to support, or vice versa, would only cause you to be at a disadvantage later.

tl;dr: just play for fun. srsly, there's no point in min/maxing to the degree of picking one race over another.

Comment

oh for the love of god...for the last time.......

RACE DOES NOT MATTER

Play the race you feel comfortable with, or what you like, dont worry about stats, just be prepaired if you play a mage, you have to work a little harder as a Galka
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Kailea how about you give some constructive criticism instead of being a dick?
        I think it's impossible to deny that an elvaan SAM with identical gear and skill in an identical situation as a Taru SAM will out DD the taru
        Even if you had these theoretical, perfect conditions, no parser would tell the difference. The winner of the parse would be decided by outside factors and a bit of random variance.
        while lacking the variety of buffs
        On the contrary, COR offers a wider variety of buffs and generally stronger ones too Haste notwithstanding. What BRD has that COR doesn't is debuffs *coughELEGYcough* and less restrictions on crowd control/Dispel.

If you insist on choosing based on microscopic stat advantages...there is no clear cut winner. CORs primary base stats are STR and AGI, and most races trade one for the other. I would say Tarutaru are the worst because STR weighs heavily on ranged attacks, and they have the worst STR without having the best AGI. Max MP is also somewhat meaningless compared to MP recovery. Then there's the fact that CORs melee at 75 in merit parties with Joyeuse; when doing that STR doesn't matter as strongly, AGI is irrelevant, and DEX comes into play.

There is no clear cut winner, and again, even if there were, the difference would still be too small to be meaningful in any way.
        Last edited by Armando; 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
          Kailea how about you give some constructive criticism instead of being a dick?Even if you had these theoretical, perfect conditions, no parser would tell the difference. The winner of the parse would be decided by outside factors and a bit of random variance.On the contrary, COR offers a wider variety of buffs and generally stronger ones too Haste notwithstanding. What BRD has that COR doesn't is debuffs *coughELEGYcough* and less restrictions on crowd control/Dispel.

If you insist on choosing based on microscopic stat advantages...there is no clear cut winner. CORs primary base stats are STR and AGI, and most races trade one for the other. I would say Tarutaru are the worst because STR weighs heavily on ranged attacks, and they have the worst STR without having the best AGI. Max MP is also somewhat meaningless compared to MP recovery. Then there's the fact that CORs melee at 75 in merit parties with Joyeuse; when doing that STR doesn't matter as strongly, AGI is irrelevant, and DEX comes into play.

There is no clear cut winner, and again, even if there were, the difference would still be too small to be meaningful in any way.
          how about you read before calling me a dick? I said below that "Play the race you feel comfortable with, or what you like, dont worry about stats, just be prepared if you play a mage, you have to work a little harder as a Galka"

Besides, how is telling someone race does not matter play the one that you feel more comfortable with, being a dick.

Besides race does not matter, and we have answered this stupid question about 1000 times now, I gave the true answer, that's not being a dick, that's telling the truth.

Comment

I'm an Elvaan and it's been well-established by now that I'm the best COR ever, so common sense would say to pick that.
            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Besides, how is telling someone race does not matter play the one that you feel more comfortable with, being a dick.
              Because you're not saying it in a very nice way, and you're not telling him anything he/she hasn't heard before.

Comment

Because you're not saying it in a very nice way, and you're not telling him anything he/she hasn't heard before.
                Then it sounds like he needs to start listening to what people are telling him then, because its seems he is not getting the point.

Can't wait for people to ask this silly question on FFXIV, because it seems it will matter even less then it did in FFXI. ;p

Comment

He's not asking what the best race is. He's asking what the theoretical best race is. There's a difference, and if you're not going to add to the conversation in some way or be hostile like that, don't bother posting. If you don't like posts about the best race, don't even bother opening topics with such obvious titles. No one's asking you to waste your time.

That aside, for COR, I'd say the best race would be Mithra with Hume following behind. Hume and Mithra basically have the same stats, just with a few small differences. Mithra has higher dexterity and agility, which help with ranged attacks. Strength is the same for both races. Like I said, I think Mithra is better, but because the stats are so close, you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Comment

Implying that I'm stupid and that my question is a stupid question that has been asked many times serves no purpose. First off, my question was not phrased in a "LOLGALKA MAGES SUCK I DUNNO WHAT TO DO WICH RACE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST AND NO ONE CAN BEAT IT" manner. What I was hoping for was some opinions; different races obviously win out in different situations, please take note of the "theoretical" word in the title. I acknowledge that it's impossible to say Mithra is the best, period, end of thread, and that wasn't what I was looking for. I suppose hoping for a little friendly debate was too much to ask.

I'm not a noob, don't treat me like one. I'm simply seeking advice on which race I should make my character and the statistical pros ande cons of being race x over race y. And as far as races not mattering at all, don't tell me you've never seen a level 60 galka whm and a level 60 taru whm and sent a /tell to the taru first.

Go do something productive instead of posting useless and belittling comments in a thread you obviously thought was useless before you even clicked the link.

Also, thanks to those who actually offered something productive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhellium View Post
                      Implying that I'm stupid and that my question is a stupid question that has been asked many times serves no purpose. First off, my question was not phrased in a "LOLGALKA MAGES SUCK I DUNNO WHAT TO DO WICH RACE IS THE BEST OF THE BEST AND NO ONE CAN BEAT IT" manner. What I was hoping for was some opinions; different races obviously win out in different situations, please take note of the "theoretical" word in the title. I acknowledge that it's impossible to say Mithra is the best, period, end of thread, and that wasn't what I was looking for. I suppose hoping for a little friendly debate was too much to ask.

I'm not a noob, don't treat me like one. I'm simply seeking advice on which race I should make my character and the statistical pros ande cons of being race x over race y. And as far as races not mattering at all, don't tell me you've never seen a level 60 galka whm and a level 60 taru whm and sent a /tell to the taru first.

Go do something productive instead of posting useless and belittling comments in a thread you obviously thought was useless before you even clicked the link.

Also, thanks to those who actually offered something productive.

Never implied you where stupid, smart people can ask stupid questions, now your just placing words in my mouth.

READ......

"Play the race you feel comfortable with, or what you like, dont worry about stats, just be prepared if you play a mage, you have to work a little harder as a Galka"

Translates to, no matter your job choice, play what you want to, but if you play a Galka, prepare to work just a little harder if you ever level a mage class.

and no I never look at race when I invite people for any reason. Skill/gear > race

Comment

Mithra has higher dexterity and agility, which help with ranged attacks. Strength is the same for both races.
                        Mithra STR is lower than Hume, but higher than Taru. Also DEX doesn't help ranged attacks, since they still use STR for DMG and AGI is what's used for ranged accuracy.

I would think Elvaan is technically the best because STR affects ranged attacks far more strongly than AGI (4 STR = +2 DMG and +2 R.Attack, whereas 4 AGI = +2 Ranged Acuracy = +1% hit rate) and the MP differences across the races for a half-capped mage job are negligible, especially when you throw in things like +20 MP rings into the mix. Humes have 137 MP with /WHM at 75, Elvaan have 118.

If you don't subscribe to the theory that STR > AGI, then any non-Taru race is up for grabs, with Mithra having a slight advantage since they have the highest AGI but only second worst STR; their hit in STR isn't as bad as their boost in AGI (Elvaan is best STR worst AGI, Galka is second best STR second worst AGI, and Hume is balanced in both.)

Comment

The best race are Tarus. They have secret powers that can be unlocked only by being awesome.

Comment

Mithra STR is lower than Hume, but higher than Taru. Also DEX doesn't help ranged attacks, since they still use STR for DMG and AGI is what's used for ranged accuracy.

I would think Elvaan is technically the best because STR affects ranged attacks far more strongly than AGI (4 STR = +2 DMG and +2 R.Attack, whereas 4 AGI = +2 Ranged Acuracy = +1% hit rate) and the MP differences across the races for a half-capped mage job are negligible, especially when you throw in things like +20 MP rings into the mix. Humes have 137 MP with /WHM at 75, Elvaan have 118.

If you don't subscribe to the theory that STR > AGI, then any non-Taru race is up for grabs, with Mithra having a slight advantage since they have the highest AGI but only second worst STR; their hit in STR isn't as bad as their boost in AGI (Elvaan is best STR worst AGI, Galka is second best STR second worst AGI, and Hume is balanced in both.)
                            AGI is technically only a huge deal for Quick Draw, you can get more than enough Ranged Accuracy via straight RAcc+ on gear and food/skill merits, and yes, as a WS mod STR is much more effective. Ranged Attack on the other hand, comes at a bit of a premium for COR, and while STR doesn't add a lot every bit helps there. For QD specifically you can get more than enough AGI from gear to not resist on the large majority of mobs, even as an Elvaan.
                            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

DEX increases the chance of critical ranged attacks (To my knowledge anyways), which will contribute to damage. While it's true elvaans definitely have the damage part down because of their STR, their accuracy will be a bit lower. Nothing that gear can't cure though. The same goes for mithra with their slightly increased accuracy and slightly decreased damage. Looking at the available gear though, there's more bonuses to ranged accuracy than there is to strength.

In the end, for Corsair anyways, I think it really is true that race really doesn't make much of a difference because of the wide variety of gear available to lessen the almost negligible gaps between the pros and cons of each race.

Just go with Mithra, because we all know they're the superior race in anything and everything!

All these years I thought I had the same STR has Humes though. How sad... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X