Pet: Evasion Vs PDT??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet: Evasion Vs PDT??

This might be a dumb question but what stats do you think would be better for a jug pet?
    -18% pdt or +36 evasion??
    Is it as simple as the sheep should get pdt and the bug should get evasion?

Only reason I ask is because +36 eva or -18% pdt both seem like a lot for 2 slots (2 magian axes) and I’m not sure which would come out on top. Is it better to have more full-damaged swings missed or get hit more often for less damage? Lets assume were talking on XP type mobs, not H/NMs.

My goal here obviously is to make a longer lasting pet. I understand it’s probably not the same thing but hypothetically would something like a WAR benefit more with +36 evasion over -18% pdt (using 2 slots)? Even if War has a low evasion skill, I would still think +36 would be somewhat noticeable. Do you think it’d be enough to offset -18 pdt?

Another tid-bit that you can add to the equation would be that my pet is already getting about -17% pdt before I even equip the axes (-10 from MKE helm, -2 Sheppard Chain & ~-5 from Stout Servant).
    So I guess to get a little deeper, what do you think would come out on top

-35% pdt
    OR
    -17% pdt & +36 evasion.
    Last edited by Romyro; 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM.
    99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
    -Farsha (90) Completed!!
    -Verth (90) Completed!!
    -Guttler (95) Completed!
    -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
    -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
    -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Re: Pet: Evasion Vs PDT??

The exact advantage/disadvantage depends on how evasive your pet is against the current foe, but at best Evasion+36 matches PDT-18% until you hit PDT- cap (which is 50%?).

If your pet is already very evasive, it's conceivable that it'd hit the evasion cap making additional evasion wasted, but I'm going to guess most pets aren't terribly evasion, to the point where it cannot take full advantage of the evasion+ since it'd use up a bunch just to get off of the evasion floor. Either scenario would point to the PDT- as the better bet.

There is one scenario which slightly favors evasion, though; monsters which don't hit for a whole lot regularly, but have a physical TP move that hits very hard but isn't terribly accurate. In that case, PDT- may not be able to save the pet, while enough evasion+ could on average give your pet a better chance of survival (key phrase: "on average").

So, yeah, not a very frequent scenario--get PDT- would be my recommendation.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Re: Pet: Evasion Vs PDT??

Thanks for your input.

The Bug jug (dipper) is actually pretty evasive on its own. It’s said to be a Thf mob and some testing has shown it to have Triple attack, TH and gil finder abilities.

As far as tanking goes, the bug and sheep both have their moments. I was fighting Tonberrys in abyssea (for abyssite) with 2 friends (2pup 1bst). I was one of the pups but it seems as though the Bst’s bug tanked better on the Tonberry thfs where as the sheep did better on the tonberry mages. Bug just gets destroyed by magic. This particular Bst chose the 2 evasion axes.

I also solo’d a few IT abyssea tigers (for the other abyssite). I was barely able to take them down with 1 fully healed bug was usually enough where as it took 2 sheep to take them down.

I might just try out a bit of both worlds. 1 evasion axe and 1 pdt axe. +18 eva and -9% pdt still looks pretty sexy.

If anyone else has anything to add, please do.
      99 BST, PUP, WAR, MNK, THF, WHM, BLM, SMN, RNG, BLU, RUN, PLD

-Ukon (85) 27/75 claws
      -Farsha (90) Completed!!
      -Verth (90) Completed!!
      -Guttler (95) Completed!
      -Gandiva (80) 24/50 wings
      -Ochain 27/50, 50/75, 8/75
      -Aegis just started

***Thank you xxFunWithJugsxx for all the help/support***

Comment

Working...
      X