Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual and bizzare FFXI client installs, and how to get it to work.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual and bizzare FFXI client installs, and how to get it to work.

Purpose of this thread:
    This thread is to document any unusual notes necessary during the install or operation of PlayOnline Viewer, Final Fantasy XI, and any POL related applications.

What qualifies to be placed in this thread?
    Basic tips on how to get FFXI and POL running on unusual computer setups, or to get FFXI and POL running on unsupported environments and hardware. If you are desperate to get it running to "force" it, then this is the place to look.

Other things that qualifies are extremely useful shortcuts, like how to cut down patch time when doing a complete reinstall of the client.

For example of what information goes on this thread: How to get Final Fantasy XI running on Windows 2003 Server.

What does NOT qualify on this thread?
    Items that can be solved by searching the PlayOnline website FAQ or any typical hardware problems. This is a place to post solutions, not ask for help. If you are running a normal Windows XP with all the recommended specs and something doesn't work, then it does NOT belong here. We want only solutions for unusual situations.

For example, this is what should NOT go here: How to install FFXI on a machine that has GeForce 4, 512 MB of RAM, Windows XP Professional.
    Signature was intentionally left blank.

DirectX 9.0 and Windows 2003 Server

If you have DirectX 9.0c installed on your Windows 2003 Server machine, and you try to run the PlayOnline viewer, you are going to get an error something like:

Error 80002001
    You must have DirectX 8.1 or higher.

This occurs after you patched the PlayOnline viewer from the initial install. This only applies to Windows Server 2003 for some reason, I think it is because something was removed from DirectX 9.0c that POL needs, but then it could be POL's inability to properly detect a different version such as DirectX 9.0c under Windows Server 2003.

This is actually PlayOnline viewer being dumb, but it can only be solved through the DirectX end. What you need to do is uninstall DirectX 9.0c and replace it with 9.0 or 9.0b. First go to Microsoft's website and download the REDISTRIBUTABLE version of DirectX and extract it to a folder on your C drive.

Then you need to uninstall DirectX 9.0c.

To do that, you need to find the registry key and delete it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/DirectX/

Then you need to reboot in SAFE MODE.

NOTE: You cannot reinstall the same version, but you can downgrade or upgrade. But after you downgrade, you can upgrade again, which is the same as a reinstall.

Once in SAFE MODE, you need to modify a registry key so you can run the Microsoft Installer, following here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;895141

Then you need go to the folder where it has the redistributable DirectX 9.0 that you extracted. Run DirectX 9.0 install and it will install. Ignore any errors about files that cannot be replaced.

After the install is complete, it will ask for a reboot. Boot in normally and you can run Final Fantasy XI again under DirectX 9.0 (or 9.0b).
    Signature was intentionally left blank.

Comment

Re: Unusual and bizzare FFXI client installs, and how to get it to work.

dose also comply with windows XP

Comment

i really neded that info ty a whole lot

Comment

what can be done for the error code

pol-1361

which comes up after putting date of birth in

Comment

Re: DirectX 9.0 and Windows 2003 Server

Originally posted by AKosygin
            If you have DirectX 9.0c installed on your Windows 2003 Server machine, and you try to run the PlayOnline viewer, you are going to get an error something like:

Error 80002001
            You must have DirectX 8.1 or higher.

This occurs after you patched the PlayOnline viewer from the initial install. This only applies to Windows Server 2003 for some reason, I think it is because something was removed from DirectX 9.0c that POL needs, but then it could be POL's inability to properly detect a different version such as DirectX 9.0c under Windows Server 2003.

This is actually PlayOnline viewer being dumb, but it can only be solved through the DirectX end. What you need to do is uninstall DirectX 9.0c and replace it with 9.0 or 9.0b. First go to Microsoft's website and download the REDISTRIBUTABLE version of DirectX and extract it to a folder on your C drive.

Then you need to uninstall DirectX 9.0c.

To do that, you need to find the registry key and delete it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/DirectX/

Then you need to reboot in SAFE MODE.

NOTE: You cannot reinstall the same version, but you can downgrade or upgrade. But after you downgrade, you can upgrade again, which is the same as a reinstall.

Once in SAFE MODE, you need to modify a registry key so you can run the Microsoft Installer, following here: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;895141

Then you need go to the folder where it has the redistributable DirectX 9.0 that you extracted. Run DirectX 9.0 install and it will install. Ignore any errors about files that cannot be replaced.

After the install is complete, it will ask for a reboot. Boot in normally and you can run Final Fantasy XI again under DirectX 9.0 (or 9.0b).
            This also happens in Windows XP SP2 - which is happening to me right now and I can't seem to fix it...

I'll try what you said on XP and see what happens...

Comment

Re: DirectX 9.0 and Windows 2003 Server

In the end, it didn't fix my problem, and this sucks now because I can't play the game. Blah!

Comment

In Windows 2003 Server SP1, I can't install FFXI. I get the error "1628: Failed to complete installation" when I insert Disc 1. None of the options for troubleshooting this error have worked from the Installers support website. Anyone run into this?

Comment

AKosygin you're a genius!!

HURRRAH!!!

Double Post Edited:
                  Gah, it doesn't work.
                  I got pol up and running, so I installed the whole game with expansions.

when it tries to go into fullscreen mode, however, I get this:

The application, C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\pol.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/27/2006 @ 00:15:03.546 The exception generated was 80000007 at address 00000000 (ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet)

*sob*
                  Last edited by Djonma; 05-26-2006, 03:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Oyoyu
                  TaruTaru
                  Windurst Rank 6
                  Midgardsormr

BLM:32/WHM:66/DRG:52/PLD:54/MNK:12/WAR:27/BRD:34
                  SMN:33/BST:9/RDM:8/THF:32/RNG:19/DRK:15/SAM: 27/NIN:19/BLU5/PUP10/COR5

Comment

OK, In case anyone else gets the same problems I had!

First of all disabled AEDebug in regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug.

Just change the Auto key to 0 rather than 1.

Then load up POL again.
                    When you try to go into full screen mode (or for me the update since I have just installed FFXI), it should now bring up this error as a popup:

Application popup: PlayOnline Viewer Ver.1.17.01: pol.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x01e3283c" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
                    Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Oh no... another problem.
                    Well, don't worry, I've spent hours working out what it is so you don't have to!

Right Click on My Computer and Properties.
                    Go to Advanced Tab and Performance Settings.

Data Execution Prevention.
                    You still want 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:'

Add Pol.exe to the list below ^^

I'm currently on the update which should be a couple of hours.
                    If I get any further problems, I'll work them out and post here!
                    Oyoyu
                    TaruTaru
                    Windurst Rank 6
                    Midgardsormr

Comment

Djonma, how did you get the game installed with SP1 ??

Comment

I just installed it... Are you having problems with actual installation?

Double Post Edited:
                        Ahh wait, just read up again (sorry just woke up!)

Right... It sounds like that's your game CD not Windows.
                        I have that problem with my CoP 1 CD. It's completely knackered.
                        Fortunately for me, both my boyfriend and I play, so I just use his CoP1 disk.

I'd suggest seeing if you can get a copy of disk 1 from a friend, or going and buying the DVD version, which is something I'm going to do soon just so I don't have 7 CDs + 1DVD!

Though saying that; do you get anything in Event Viewer when you get that failure?
                        Anything other that just that short line error?
                        Last edited by Djonma; 05-28-2006, 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Oyoyu
                        TaruTaru
                        Windurst Rank 6
                        Midgardsormr

Comment

I found an interesting site where they are trying to get FFXI running on Linux via the WINE emulator. Apparently, they have WoW and several other MMOs up and running. The FFXI project seems stalled, the playonline viewer works but FFXI and Tetramaster both won't update and crash.

The same warning message appears everytime I lose the connection, "warn:winsock: WSAErrno errno 4 (Interrupted System Call)." I can't do the updates for FFXI because of this problem. There's also the problem of trying to play TetraMaster as well although my main focus has been the connection issue.
                          Link

Comment

It could be my CD, but I was able to copy the entire thing to HDD and got the same error running the install from there. I might try to get a new copy. This is the error from event viewer. I thought it might have something to do with SP1 and the latest version of the MSI installer that FFXI is unable to work with.

The application, C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\7\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/28/2006 @ 19:51:22.984 The exception generated was 80000007 at address 00000000 (ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet)

Comment

Originally posted by nazlfrag
                              I found an interesting site where they are trying to get FFXI running on Linux via the WINE emulator. Apparently, they have WoW and several other MMOs up and running. The FFXI project seems stalled, the playonline viewer works but FFXI and Tetramaster both won't update and crash.

Link
                              The problem I could see with doing it with Wine is that it'd take a LOT of memory and power to run both Windows AND FFXI.

Hmm... I might have to look into that though and see if I can help them ^^

My linux skills are not nearly as good as my windows skills though.

Double Post Edited:
                              Originally posted by Timothy
                              It could be my CD, but I was able to copy the entire thing to HDD and got the same error running the install from there. I might try to get a new copy. This is the error from event viewer. I thought it might have something to do with SP1 and the latest version of the MSI installer that FFXI is unable to work with.

The application, C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\7\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 05/28/2006 @ 19:51:22.984 The exception generated was 80000007 at address 00000000 (ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet)
                              Right, IDriver exceptions tend to be if you've got an instance of the install running, and you try to open another one. Or if you've cancelled one and the program block is still running, and you try to call it again.

If your computer's been on ever since you tried installing FFXI the first time; reboot and try it from the HD.

If not, make sure Windows is completely up to date.
                              Have you got all of your video and sound accelerated and active? And DirectX working fine?
                              Last edited by Djonma; 05-29-2006, 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Oyoyu
                              TaruTaru
                              Windurst Rank 6
                              Midgardsormr

Comment

Working...
                              X