Music and Nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music and Nostalgia

So for what may be a masochistic reason, I'm listening to the FFXI OST at work (god bless YouTube) and hearing a lot of these songs brings back so many memories.

Like Ronfaure, for example, that was where, in essence, I started the game. Running around fighting rabbits and hiding from Orcs. Or Sarutabaruta, that was the soundtrack of farming crawlers and Yagudo beads.

Running through Zi'Tah and listening to the pretty music on the way to the Aery for the 5 millionth time.

Watching my ex-husband start the game in Bastok - with the Christmas trees still up, since that's when we started, I remember thinking the music of Bastok was that of this bustling town ... and Gustaberg, one of the most beautiful and underrated tracks in the game, honestly.

Returning to Sandy after my first trip to Jeuno, feeling triumphant like I'd come back from war. Those bagpipes never ever got old, not even once.

Running through Caedarva Mire, terrified of the true sight mobs (IMPS!) that I'd never encountered before - the tempo of the music echoing the pounding of my heart from the nerves that one might turn around and murder me before I got to the portal. Or meriting in Wajaom, with the soothing music nicely accompanying my cures and buffs.

The creepy music in Arrapago Reefs ... music of AU always got me so nervous because those mobs could turn suddenly and really fuck you up.

The soundtrack still has a tight hold on me and my emotions and memories. What songs do you hear now, after all this time (I know many of you have quit at this point) and still have fond memories of the game? What songs are the soundtrack of your FFXI experience? Share. Please. I'm feeling nostalgic.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Re: Music and Nostalgia

Off the top of my head, I have a soft spot for the summer festival music, or really just the festival in general since it went up shortly after I started playing. Beyond that I'd have to go have a listen, but hey I've got plenty of down time at work tomorrow so maybe I'll do that.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Funny that you bring this up. I've been listening to the Wings of the Goddess soundtrack recently. Mostly the songs around past San d'Oria and Windurst.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

There are things about the game I'll always miss, I suppose. I'm glad that people have put the soundtracks on YouTube so I can visit in my own way from time to time.
        sigpic

Comment

Ok, just closed my office door and started listening to it... ! Thanks for reminding me... I too oh so miss the ffxi days... life was simpler then, LOL! I wouldn't change a thing though, life is good.

(But man ffxi was such a great release...)
          75: Sam, Nin, Blm, Thf, Pld, Cor, Rdm
          RANK 10 Bastok
          CoP: Done
          ZM: Done
          ToA: Done
          Assault rank: Captain
          Campaign Medal: Medals
          Wotg: Complete the quests already and I'll start

Originally posted by Etra
          This thread brought to you by Malacite's lack of understanding.

Comment

I know what you mean. I mean I love playing WoW but it doesn't have the same feel to it. I guess it's because FFXI was my first.

I thought of another one too, the music in Aht Urgahn Whitegate. Oh the memories of finding the perfect AFK spot to bazaar/watch shouts.
            sigpic

Comment

24:11, is this Sandy music?

Maybe the music when you enter the castle? i was from bastok so never made it to the other cities much unless doing quests, lol

- - - Updated - - -

ok, this is called guess the music, lol

26:48... Altepa desert? check it out and weigh in!
              RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

I'm not sure which video you're watching. If it has bagpipes and horns it's Sandy, if it sounds like an organ (kind of) then it's Chateau.
                sigpic

Comment

i youtubed ffxi ost like you said and its the one with 86,793 views

here we go, in case anyone cares and wants to play along:

Final Fantasy XI - Complete Soundtrack - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

it was the organ
                  Last edited by Mezlo; 08-28-2014, 10:29 AM.
                  RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

Ahh, I was listening to the playlists. I'm at school though so I can't listen to them right now.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just listening to the music makes me want to go back and play...

31:01 South Gustaberg, running around eatting meat mithkabobs and attacking gobs, lizards, vultures, and then crabs all the way to the SW. i took all my jobs from 1-10 there in like 3 hours or so each job.

- - - Updated - - -

35:31 North Gustaberg, didnt do shit here but run through there, lol... either running up the NW side on my way to Vulkrum Dunes, or running up the NE side to go do some BCNM's...

- - - Updated - - -

added link above

http://youtu.be/we8IzS0qy3s

- - - Updated - - -

38:40 - Jeuno - never really cared for this place. alot of time spent there but it was always time waiting for something to happen. waiting sucked. waiting for your xp party to form, waiting for your sea party to form, waiting for a shout, waiting for your item to sell on the AH. the best thing that ever happened was the ding alert when you got a tell. this way you could turn the volume up, go do shit and then just wait for the ding. lol... im guilty of doing this and napping, hoping i hear the ding and wake up to party. most the times it wouldnt work. i'd wake up to a complete screen of purple. "hello? you there? party?" shit! and then i'd sne dthem a tell and of course the spot had been filled. back to waiting, lol...

- - - Updated - - -

41:35 - rolanberry fields i think? not much time spent hear, just running to Crawlers nest for parties level 35-40 i think? oh, i spent some time here farming bee hive chips and honey when you could sell a stack for 10k

- - - Updated - - -

43:55 very familiar... hmmm.... kazham i believe! good times. levels 25-30 fighting gobs. this was when you start getting some good abilities from your main job and the start of them for your sub. I had trouble killing the minis for summoner here, lol, so i went after the main summons with my 75.

- - - Updated - - -

i think my rambling and free flow of thought is fitting with this thread's title, LMAO!

- - - Updated - - -

46:53 - not too familiar with this music... help!

- - - Updated - - -

56:39 - very familiar... hmmm... BCNM's i think???

- - - Updated - - -

58:34 - garliage citadel?

- - - Updated - - -

ok, time for a break
                      RANK 10 Bastok

Comment

BCNM music brought back sooooooooooo many memories.

The 2-3 dragon fight, the first time I did Under Observation and didn't kite properly because I'd never done it before (thankfully my group was really understanding and we went again and nailed it), getting a scroll of Utsusemi:Ni and selling it for 1.2m so I could buy Erase ... ahh that music always got the adrenaline pumping.
                        sigpic

Comment

I listen to the OSTs at work a lot as well. I actually always hated Sandy bagpipes but they do get me in the feels when I think about after the introductory cutscene, I was like 'okay this game seems somewhat cool', then I zoned out into South Sandy to see the giant castle and all the people running around and was like OH MY GOD THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER.

Alexander fight theme gives me the best memories of endgame-type stuff, plus it's just a cool song and makes me want to fight things.
                          Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Listenign to the music again does remind me of NM hunting in Abyssea with Yyg and Cid. Specifically the sessions where it's running into very late night my time and I'm nowhere near sober enough to care about being bad, while Cid is stuck healing me.
                            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                            Reiko Takahashi
                            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

That sounds awesomely fun.

God I remember staying up until way past the hour when a human should reasonably be awake just to camp something, or just fucking around. I stayed up late one night just to do ZNM with the LS, most of them were on PST time and it was even getting late for them. I remember the first night Wings dropped and a few of us from my old LS stayed up basically the entire night running around doing Campaign (because it was new and fun then, god it got so old fast though) and exploring the areas and getting all of the Maws. It was me and CK and a few people from my first Dynamis LS. I still remember hearing their voices on vent ... "WHOA WHAT IS THAT HOLY SHIT" "It's like a roving Besieged!" "SHIT SHIT SHIT HEAL ME AKS" lol. God I think that was even back when I didn't even have WHM capped yet.

Late night vent adventures were always fun though. I was in a guild in WoW where we were up super late doing some heroics and then we decided to just go ... do Stormwind Stockades. On Horde characters. (For those of you who don't know, Stormwind is an Alliance city, and the Stockades are right in the middle of fucking Stormwind, the Alliance hub city where all of the Alliance AFK and troll trade chat. Well, it was the hub during Cataclysm.) Yeah we flew around, I'd never played Alliance so I had no idea where I was going - it was me and two Paladins. I died, the others made it, then they came back to help me, we had a mess of guards and PCs following us as we ported into the instance. This is like a level 20 instance we were doing for the hell of it and I'll never forget how fucking funny it was on vent just the three of us going into Stormwind for the sheer fuck of it.

Okay so this went way off topic but man, I just have so many good memories. Campaign music still reminds me of that first night of Wings of the Goddess, when four of us went exploring into the wee hours of the morning.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X