Soloing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloing

I haven't been able to find a good guide online for soloing. I'm currently a lvl 40 DRK/RDM. I'm currently in Batallia Downs, but everything I'm encountering is Very Easy, and a lot of stuff I'm having to skip because it's not worthwhile. Checking the FFXI Encyclopedia I haven't been able to find the next zone to switch to, everything I'm checking jumps to 50+. Anyone know where I should head next?
    My character's name is Cadar on Cerberus.

Warrior-19
    Red Mage-55
    Dark Knight-55

Re: Soloing

What I'm doing personally is going 40-45 on Sabertooth Tigers, then moving to Tundra Tigers in Beaucedine from 45-50+.

For what it's worth, I'm also leveling with an NPC Fellow, if that means anything.

ADD: Paralysis sucks, however, so if you decide to go that route, always be sure to keep up Barparalyze and, at level 42+, Barblizzard.
    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 06-27-2011, 09:40 PM.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Thanks. Once you said that I realized I was mostly just killing the Sabertooth Tigers in Batallia. Sounds like I'll be following your route
      My character's name is Cadar on Cerberus.

Warrior-19
      Red Mage-55
      Dark Knight-55

Comment

Thing I do is check the wiki pages for Field Manual and Ground Tome pages. There are many more spots but those give you a good place to choose. A starting point.
        FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
        FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
        aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverslip View Post
          Thing I do is check the wiki pages for Field Manual and Ground Tome pages. There are many more spots but those give you a good place to choose. A starting point.
          Pretty much what I did when I came up with the Tigers.
          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.

Comment

At 40 you can do pages 1 (very easily) and 2 (slightly less easy) in Eastern Altepa Desert.
            Last edited by Squiggs; 06-28-2011, 06:53 AM.
            99 DNC
            99 WHM
            99 WAR
            * 99 THF
            99 BLM * 99 RDM *
            99 PUP

TWASHTAR

Comment

Unless you are dead set on only soloing, GoV page 1 in the Crawlers Nest with a party/alliance will be much faster.

If you are soloing, I would suggest considering getting DNC for a subjob.
              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Once you hit 40, get the heck away from Jeuno. Sure, you can do pages on those tigers, but the per-kill XP is weak, the distance you have to travel isn't worth the page bonus, and paralyze is not fun. (I've generally been doing FoV 27-39 or so on Berry Grubs myself in the past.)

Yep, page 1 E.Altepa near the Kor. Tunnel zone line is better. At least the spiders are right there, and not halfway across the zone. I'd also take others' advice on GoV pages, since I haven't had a chance to do them 30-55 yet.
                Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

I've been doing 38-46 in Beaucedine. A couple things that haven't been mentioned about its suckiness: 1) paralyze from roar is even more potent during ice and double ice weather, which is near constant in the zone and 2) evil eyes have an extremely wide wandering range and can show up out of nowhere to screw you over if you're not careful about where you're fighting. On the bright side, tigers drop fangs very frequently here, which can be AHed for 7-10k a stack of traded in sets of 3 to a quest in Sandy for 2100g a pop, so it can be good money.

I think I'll be trying out Altepa later. So sick of seeing ice. Glad I saw this thread.
                  lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                    On the bright side, tigers drop fangs very frequently here, which can be AHed for 7-10k a stack of traded in sets of 3 to a quest in Sandy for 2100g a pop, so it can be good money.
                    Pretty much why I'm doing it. As a WHM I have Paralyna (which I've mostly only ever had to apply to my Fellow since she's currently 5 levels lower than my WHM is), and I'll just switch my NPC to Healer mode when I switch to PLD and (later) RDM.

Also, being that I live in Florida (and that I've done Chocobo Hot and Cold in Altepa a few too many times), I don't think I'll ever be as sick of seeing ice as I am of sand. >_>;
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

Comment

Just a couple of rules of thumb I have, it's better to kill fast for small chunks than to go for the bigger numbers.

I would say find a nice FoV or GoV tome with a minimum level near your target level - your easiest xp yielding enemy level ( at 40+ this should be 12/13 levels below you.).

Eat meat, use a 2-hander, and carry a few stacks of selbina milk or load up on some au laits if you have the cash, and chug the things like no tomorrow. Keep FoV/GoV regen/refresh up.

Look at the spawns and try to run a circuit between pages so that you can get a rhythm down while going through pages as fast as possible.

Now, all that said, your best bet is to have a location scouted out, be able to give directions, and recruit a few other people to level on easy prey with you. Modern xp is less about xp per kill and more about xp per page and how fast you can clear those pages. If you're slaughtering EP, you don't need much of a tank, and your healer should be focusing on damage output while keeping everyone in white hp range.
                      You might be stopping to enjoy the game instead of rushing to cap, but that is not normal now. -Mhurron

Comment

Working...
                      X