Im brand new to FFXI Q&A Plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im brand new to FFXI Q&A Plz

Hi I just recently bought FFXI Yesterday. I was wondering about some things...
    1.How much is it a month with just one account on the xbox360?
    2.Is being a WHM good for begginers?
    3.When you kill a monster do the items drop on the ground or what happens?
    4.When you kill a monster does it divide the items by the party or what happens?
    5.Is it easy to catch on and understand?
    6.What are some good website for information like weapons, armour, monsters,ect?
    7.What exactly is a linkshell?
    8.When you first start out whats a good thing to do?
    9.What do you do generally in the game?

I dont have my person made yet cause my credit card expired so im trying to learn some info before I jump right in to FFXI. Any help to any questions is great.

Re: Im brand new to FFXI Q&A Plz

1. I think it's the same on xbox as anything else, I think it's $12.95 (it's bad I don't know but I play)
    2. not really IMO, hard to level on your own especially without sub, be better off with WAR or MNK as a starter, at least til you get SJ
    3. they go into your inventory or if it's full they go into a treasure pool
    4. If you're in a party it goes into a treasure pool and drops randomly into party members inventory, you can lot items or set a quartermaster who will automaticaly get all items
    5. I thought it was, especially if you're not afraid to ask for help
    6. FFXIclopedia
    7. I guess a really basic way to describe it is like a chatroom XD You talk to other linkshell members through it, like a guild in WoW I believe..
    8. Level level level, not much you can do until you level up more
    9. See above

Comment

Re: Im brand new to FFXI Q&A Plz

1) 12.95 If you later choose to make another character on the same account, then there will be a $1 charge for each new character. You can only play one character on that account at one time.

2) Any job is good for beginners. If you are asking the easiest starting job to level the quickest, I would say either War or Mnk. Mages are "squishy" so they tend to level a bit slower when they are solo'ing. A war or mnk can take the hits better and the leveling is a bit quicker.

3) No the items go automatically into your inventory if you are solo'ing or they go into a Treasure Pool that only your party/alliance can access.

4) The items in the Treasure Pool stay there for a set length of time (3 minutes?) and will then randomly drop to your party members when the time is up. Or your members can choose to lot on any item in the Treasure Pool, though this is not something thats usually done. The only time you lot usually is on big item drops from Notorious Monsters (NM's), quest items, rare/ex items, etc.

5) FFXI has a harder learning curve than other MMO's but its this challenge that makes it so addicting. Just read a lot on the forums and the definitive place for info is:

FFXIclopedia

6) See above link.

7) A linkshell is basically a guild. You get in game, you make friends, and you ask friends about their linkshells and if they are inviting new members. You will be given a linkshell pearl that you keep in your inventory and equip it. Then you can have conversations with other members with the same pearl no matter where they are in game. The command is /l <insert what you want to say after that>. There is a shell holder and he is the person that bought the original pearl, named it, and made its color and he also has the power to give people a leadership position (sac) or kick people. Then there are sacs and they are people who can make more pearls and hand them out to new members or they can kick people from the linkshell. The people that run the linkshells are sacs and/or the shell holder.

8) First thing to do is to walk around your town and talk to all the NPC's. This gets you familiar with the layout of your town. Also you should utilize your Map and mark it with Markers. Markers are dots you can put on your map and then give the dot a name. This way you can mark things that are important and that you might want to find again. You'll also get starter quests this way.

9) This game is a lot of grind. Grind is getting exp. Thats the main point of the game, get exp and level up. You'll also do Missions and thats where you'll see the storyline of the game. There are missions for your city, missions for armor, etc so there is a lot of cool cutscenes in the game. So exp, do missions, do quests, get levels, get cool armor, make friends, craft items, and have fun.
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Re: Im brand new to FFXI Q&amp;A Plz

Originally posted by Coolman View Post
        Hi I just recently bought FFXI Yesterday. I was wondering about some things...
        1.How much is it a month with just one account on the xbox360?
        $12.95 for first character, $1 each additional character.

2.Is being a WHM good for begginers?
        I don't like beggars, I shoot them on sight. Even WHM ones.

3.When you kill a monster do the items drop on the ground or what happens?
        It drops into a treasure inventory or, if you're solo, directly into your pocket.

4.When you kill a monster does it divide the items by the party or what happens?
        Usually, I like to fight someone to the death over the last crystal that drops. Lotting or letting it distribute at random through the treasure pool is never as fun.

5.Is it easy to catch on and understand?
        Varies by player. You may wish to refer to FFXIclopedia to find out where the tutorial NPCs and such are.

6.What are some good website for information like weapons, armour, monsters,ect?
        See above. Don't go to Allakazham or KI, those forums will rot your mind.

7.What exactly is a linkshell?
        Its a glorified chat room. You're given a pearl to equip to join into that chat channel, basically. Otherwise, people consider them like guilds.

8.When you first start out whats a good thing to do?
        Beg for gil. I need target practice.

9.What do you do generally in the game?
        Kill stuff, go on adventures, find phat lewt and eat babies.

Comment

Thank you guys for all the help so far
          3.Can you level all jobs?
          4.Do Jobs have levels?
          5.Can you have 2 jobs at once example:WHM/Warrior?
          Last edited by Coolman; 01-10-2009, 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

1) There are 20 jobs you can switch between at any time when you speak to your Moogle inside your mog house or a Nomad Moogle in other towns (not the 5 major cities). So you only really need 1 character since you gain job levels and not player levels.

E.g. say your WAR is 18 and you just unlocked your sub job and switch to MNK Lv 1 to level it up. At any time, if you should switch back to WAR you will be lv 18 again.

2) The best way to earn cash in the beginning is by collecting enemy drops and selling them on the auction house. Save any crystals you get for synthesis, since most of the early level stuff (especially copper and bronze ingots) are cheap to make and can earn you some nice starting cash on the Auction House.

3) As I already said, you can level all 20 jobs at will. You start off with the basic 6 and have to quest the other 14 once you are lv 30 on any of the starting jobs. Also, just because they are starting jobs doesn't mean they're weak; they are all very good by level 75 (Some would argue even broken)

4) Repeating myself again but yes, all jobs level up separately.

5) Yes, once you unlock your sub job you can set a 2nd job to be your sub. Your sub job will always be 1/2 your main job's level rounded down (meaning it caps at 37 by level 74). Keep mind though because it's a sub job, you won't have full access to it's powers; Magic skills will not be strong enough to use offensively as you get higher in level (since you'll effectively be casting at your SJ level. This doesn't matter as much with enhancing and healing magic however) and not all combinations are good. Also, certain abilities are changed or locked out;

DRG SJ can not use call wyvern.

SAM SJ restricts Meditate to 60 TP instead of 100.

THF SJ removes the DEX bonus from Sneak Attack and is just a guaranteed critical.

I strongly recommend glancing over the FFXI wiki. There is an ocean of information there that should answer most if not all of your questions.
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

As for 5), please make sure to get your sub job at level 18. Do not level your job to 30 without one like some nubs do. It really does make you look bad and its actually harder to get parties sometimes. Also, keep that sub job leveled up. So lets say you are level 25 whm and your blm is level 10, then you would be a level 25whm/10blm. Your sub is under leveled at this point. Your blm should be at least level 12 so it would then be 25whm/12blm. Being off a level or two isn't bad but it does make you look lazy and people can get an attitude towards you for having an under leveled sub.

Oh and as for 2), use the link I previously gave you for quests. There are repeatable quests in your hometown that you can do in lower levels to get you gil. Also other quests rewards can be small amounts of gil too.
              Originally posted by Feba
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              Originally posted by Taskmage
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              Originally posted by DakAttack
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

1) Yes, but only in certain places, that being your house or a Nomad Moogle. This is one of the good things about FFXI; I've been in RPGs where your character was limited to one class/job, and if you wanted to switch around, you had to create another character. You get a limited selection at the start, but once you reach level 30 you can unlock the rest of the 20 possible jobs.

2) Sell stuff, either to NPCs, through the Auction House, or in your Bazaar. The Bazaar is basically an icon that shows up and they can click on you and look at the list of items that you have for sale. Some quests pay money, and some of them are repeatable.

How do you get the stuff to sell? Usually by drops from monsters you've killed, though there are also ways to harvest raw materials that crafters use. You can craft stuff, but you usually have to skill up in a craft for a while before you can make a profit. You can also go fishing and sell your catch.

3) You can level any job you have unlocked, all the way to 75. However the first time you reach level 50, every 5 levels you have to complete a quest to let you progress further. This will permanently raise your level cap for ALL jobs, so if your job has a particularly hard time with the 75 cap quest (which is a battle), you may want to take a different job to 70 first.

4) Jobs go from level 1 to 75. As you go up, the amount of XP you need to go to the next level increases, taking a sharp upward turn at 50, and ending at 44000 at level 75. Then there is something called Merit Points that you can use to improve your character after you reach 75.

5) Once you reach level 18 you can start one of two quests to unlock the ability to have a subjob. The subjob is always limited to half your level rounded down (except you always get at least level 1) and goes from 1 to 37, and once you've activated your first one, you never go without a subjob ever again.

You get most of the skills and abilities of your subjob at whatever level it is limited to, except for the 2-hour ability, and your gear is limited by what your main job can wear/use. However, any skills from your subjob will not increase while it is a subjob. Your subjob can only gain skills and XP when you switch it back as your main job.
                Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

Thank you all this explains it to me so much easier...I cant wait to play this game...

Comment

I'd like to add fishing as a very good way of making money. Goblin Fishers regularly drop rods for free and bait for catching Moat Carp (Little Worms) is very cheap. Moats sell very well on the Auction House since a huge number are needed to get one of the best rods in the game.
                    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                    X