X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aggro 101: A Guide for Newbies.

Originally posted by Xylia
    Well, a pebble wouldn't steal hate, as you would probably miss 99% of the time unless the person just got plain aggro. Flash isn't that much faster than Dia really, to be honest. Not to mention a Pebble is a lot slower than Dia, or Flash, though I think the range might be just slightly further, not sure on that.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking - if the person was just aggro'd and still had zero hate. Even when I stop moving and start casting I've sometimes gotten the message "casting is interrupted" !@#$% That's annoying. I have some -% spell interruption gear but I don't know if that counts toward movement. So I either need a spell that's shorter cast time or a long-range option. Even if the pebble misses, it should still get the mob's attention. I'm really quite surprised that Flash isn't faster than Dia.
    They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I think it is, but barely noticable.

--Xylia

Comment

Actually, good players learn to stand their ground and stop moving when under attack. Other players cannot save you if you

(a) move out of range of their cures
        (b) move such that the monster chasing you puts it out of range of abilities and spells that your party members could otherwise use to attract its attention
        (c) force them to move so quickly that they cannot stop successfully to finish casting a spell

By the way, Nakti, spell interruption from movement is automatic. If you finish casting a spell more than about a foot from where you started casting it, your spell is automatically interrupted. Note that this also means that you can start casting a very long spell (such as Teleport-Mea), move around, and if you wind up back in the exact same spot when you finish casting, you'll still complete the spell (works for any castable action, such as magic, songs, or ninjutsu).

Icemage

Comment

Just some notes I think you should mention as I think they are some facts:

Section #2:
          _One of the method to avoid detection, obviously, must be to stay out of a detection range. Different mobs have different range, some can see or hear further than others. Some becomes more keen during the night or day. Goblins, for example, are known to have a larger detection range during the night.

_Another method which has to do with the latest expansion, some mobs sleep at night for ToAU areas. This means you can avoid being detected while they are sleeping. (This doesn't have to do with newbies but I know some newbies will want Blu/Pup/Cor which will need them to travel to these zones).

Section #3:
          _The 1st action when getting unwanted arrgo is to run away, not zoning. Running to another area is an option. However, you can out run some monsters or lose their sight (meaning you don't have to zone to lose aggro) if you are lucky enough. Some monsters such as crawlers will lose their detection when you run into water. Others will run very slow compare to you (some run faster though) so you have a changce to out-run them. You can also out run monsters that are as fast as you are if you are far away enough or the monster get stuck into a long route to get to you. Note that various monsters will track you based on your smell (e.g. Goblins); this means even if you managed to out run them, they will still follow you (slowly) and attack you if you can't get rit of your smell. Using Deodorizer potion/spell will help this. You must cast it after you lose sight of the monster then keep running since they will follow you to the last known location. Just remember, once a monster attack you there is very very little chance that you can out run it unless you are actually faster than it.

Extra note: There is a minimum amount of time needed for a monster to 'detect' its surrounding. This means when a monster just 'pop' out of nowhere it will not detect you or its friends immidiately. After a few seconds (around Bst 'leave' time) it will, so you will have a few seconds to run away undetected.

Comment

Thank you for the outstanding guide........being a noob myself and hearing all the chatter about hate and aggro, and not having a clue what they were talking about, this cleared the foggy area up for me thanks again!!

**Snoogins**
            I fire up the grill.

Lighter fluid, lighter fluid, lighter fluid.

[GM]Dave>> FIRAGA III!!!

I pretend not to notice Susan shaking her head as I throw the match

Originally posted by Mog
            holy shit, apparently crazy is contageous. I turned his brain into the mind of a bulldog! nOO!!

Comment

Amazing guide, wish I had this kind of info available when I first started XD
              SUICHI IS DEAD.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Some mobs Teleport to you X.x I was running from The dunes to Bastok and i aggroed this huge sheep thing (Tremor Ram) I checked it and it only said tough so i just figured i would run by it, since i still had my 2 hr (Perfect Dodge) and there was some hills and curves up ahead. Ouch... he was hitting for some 50+dmg on my 260hp... I thuoght i had lost on this huge hill i climbed, i ran right past Dem, and was winding through the tunnels near the zone when all of a sudden BAM, he was right behind me... I died of course, but i had been running for some odd 4 minutes through curves, hills and edges. I wa spaying attention to my radar and looking behind me quite a bit, never saw him...

THF/RNG
                  The Real Treasure Hunter

Comment

Sort of necroing this post, but as a complete newb to FFXI here this is a great help. Awesome guide!
                    PlayOnline Handle: Frankzilla
                    Tetra Master Handle: Frankzilla

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
                    Final Fantasy

Comment

Originally posted by woaigils
                      [System Message: You are not allowed to post URLs as you have not yet contributed sufficiently. Please try again at a later time.]
                      Heyyyy, the anti-RMT filters are working!
                      Last edited by Onionsoilder; 04-16-2007, 04:53 PM.
                      Originally posted by Ellipses
                      Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                      Originally posted by MCLV
                      A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                      More Sig:

Comment

Rph, no monster can teleport to you unprovoked. Some can teleport you to them, and some can indirectly teleport to you(Younger Ziliart Brother, Taru AA). The only thing I can thing of is you somehow got somewhere the Tremor Ram would not be able to reach by running - This will provoke the monster to either a) fly or b) teleport to your location.
                        Originally posted by Ellipses
                        Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                        Originally posted by MCLV
                        A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                        More Sig:

Comment

Good to know. Now if I can get my puller to stop aggro................!

Comment

Thanks for the guide!

Comment

nice guide

Comment

Working...
                              X