Gardening Help Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening Help Please?

There doesn't appear to be an area on these forums for Garedning, is there?
    Hehe.

Anyhow, I've taken a sudden interest in gardening (even though I've had about 3 or 4 plant pots in my mog house for a while) and started growing seeds in brass flowerpots to produce rock salt. (this probably wont be the only thing I'll want to grow though since you can produce a wide variety of things)

To produce this, (this is in 2 pots) I would have used vegetabe seeds and wind crystal, and on the same vana' diel day too. My concern though.... is that I cannot remember which day I started planting the seeds to produce this rock salt.

I've been using "Pikko Pots" as a guide. I have an idea which crystals to use and which days to feed them to the plants to produce the same results..... but I'm quite confused about which days to start the planting.

To produce the same results in 2 pots or more, does the starting day matter at all, or is it just the crystals you feed, and the day you feed the crystal? (oh, and of course the same flowerpot too) If the starting day matters too, then how will I know what to produce from it?

I also produced some sobbing fungus from herb seeds, in a ceramic pot, fed with a lightning crystal, which was probably on watersday. But I can't remember which Vana day I started planting the seeds to produce the fungus.

Which day do I start this, to produce the same results again?

Could anyone help me out here please?
    Last edited by Snowball; 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM.
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    C('')('')

Re: Gardening Help Please?

More If you dig thru pages of posts:
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/hel...ng-mining-397/

Top thread:
    http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/hel...-checking.html

Day wise I can't help ya
    [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

there is no sure recipe or condition. if you do everything exactly the same on three different pots you may still have three different results. following all the guides will help with your averages but there is still a lot of randomness to it.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
        there is no sure recipe or condition. if you do everything exactly the same on three different pots you may still have three different results. following all the guides will help with your averages but there is still a lot of randomness to it.
        I don't really believe that right now to be honest!! (at least not for gardening anyway) Just a few days ago, I started planting 2 of the same seeds, (thing they were vege) and both in 2 pots of exactly the same type, (in brass pot) feeding them both the same crystal, and on exactly the same days too!

My result from this harvest was rock salt. I got that in "BOTH" of the 2 pots I started with too! So I MUST have done SOMETHING right to produce this result!
        I just cannot remember which day I started planting that's all. I'd just have to work out the days, so that I can get the result I want.

I know that a lot of FFXl revolves around random this and random that, (which I find a bit annoying sometimes) like the drops you get from mobs and other things. And one of the reasons I remember someone saying about this, was something to the fact that it helps to prevent lag in all areas.... so that too many players are NOT camping or ganging up on the same mobs all the time, hence less lag. I guess I can understand that, as lag can be quite a painful situation! I probably wouldn't like it myself either.

But what about gardening though? With only 1 player allowed in their mog houses at a time, there's no grouping up for anything! I guess I just don't see or understand a reason for randomness there right now!
        If I just get all my days right for planting, then hopefully it should work.
        Last edited by Snowball; 09-14-2007, 10:10 AM.
        (\ /)
        ( . .)
        C('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit View Post
          More If you dig thru pages of posts:
          http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/hel...ng-mining-397/
          Top thread:
          http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/hel...-checking.html
          Day wise I can't help ya
          Thanks for the links. Ill have a look through and see what I can find.
          (\ /)
          ( . .)
          C('')('')

Comment

Look, here IS the way it works, pot type seed type and crystal type will yield you one of a specific number of items. depending on pot type it varies, day of the week MAY effect which of the items in the pool of available items for the combination you use you actually get.

The bigger question is why would you want to grow rock salt when you casn buy rock salt for 14gil?

Onions will give you a nice return, and tree cuttings to saplings is good and saplings to ores is good if you dont mind waiting a RL month, but honestly, you would make more selling the seeds than using them to make rock salt, which is pretty much like loosing when gardeening,, its what people try to avoid usually, that and earth worms when Im trying to get Onions ..

If you are really interested I will put in a link when I get home,,, there is a lot of confusion and mis-information about gardening out there.

Comment

I think that gardening can be beneficial. I use every bag of seeds that comes to my inventory. The end products end up as free crafting material for me. Worse comes to worse if I don't need it, I AH or npc the item.

I used to make my own crystals when the stack prices were much higher. Herb seeds with a water crystal when checked and harvested on watersday produce tons of fire crystals.

When I get my hands on tree cuttings, I usually am successful in turning them into tree saplings, and sell the saplings.

I use brass pots, and have a few tables (I do all of this on a mule) and make sure I have the gardening Mog-enhancement.

Comment

If you read up on the types of pots, when to plant, feed and harvest, you can usually manage to get a more profitable yield out of your seeds. I personally use a mix of brass and arcane flowerpots and the results have been pretty decent.
                Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
                Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
                Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Originally posted by Snowball View Post
                  I don't really believe that right now to be honest!! (at least not for gardening anyway) Just a few days ago, I started planting 2 of the same seeds, (thing they were vege) and both in 2 pots of exactly the same type, (in brass pot) feeding them both the same crystal, and on exactly the same days too!

My result from this harvest was rock salt. I got that in "BOTH" of the 2 pots I started with too! So I MUST have done SOMETHING right to produce this result!
                  I just cannot remember which day I started planting that's all. I'd just have to work out the days, so that I can get the result I want.

I know that a lot of FFXl revolves around random this and random that, (which I find a bit annoying sometimes) like the drops you get from mobs and other things. And one of the reasons I remember someone saying about this, was something to the fact that it helps to prevent lag in all areas.... so that too many players are NOT camping or ganging up on the same mobs all the time, hence less lag. I guess I can understand that, as lag can be quite a painful situation! I probably wouldn't like it myself either.

But what about gardening though? With only 1 player allowed in their mog houses at a time, there's no grouping up for anything! I guess I just don't see or understand a reason for randomness there right now!
                  If I just get all my days right for planting, then hopefully it should work.
                  (de-bolded for my own sake)

Anyway, believe it or not, what you believe isn't true. What it is is coincidence.

I used to be a professional gardener. I had 4 (up to 6 when I stopped) mules which I gardened on, and each of them had the same things: they all had the same type and number of tables for the moghansement, the same gear (harvesting gear), the same flowerpots. The same seeds were planted, fed, and harvested and even examined at the same time. However, I was still getting different results for every pot. Occasionally I would have the same results repeated (IE, get the same number of crystals), but that wasn't all that common.

This is best shown if you go for Ores. Over a ~30 day process, with 10 seeds planted, fed (both times), harvested and examined at the same time on the same character, you will be lucky to get 2-3 ores.

There are indeed many hidden factors involving what your results are: beyond the obvious moon phase, feeding crystal and elemental days of activities, there's also a flowerpot's innate element, a cities innate element, and others I couldn't possibly comprehend, all which make gardening as random as it can get. The best you can get is a rough estimate -- the wikipedia actually shows this pretty well, where multiple results are given for the same flowerpot, seed, and crystal.

Just ask any seasoned gardener.
                  Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                  90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                  70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                  52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by neokaril View Post
                    Look, here IS the way it works, pot type seed type and crystal type will yield you one of a specific number of items. depending on pot type it varies, day of the week MAY effect which of the items in the pool of available items for the combination you use you actually get.

The bigger question is why would you want to grow rock salt when you casn buy rock salt for 14gil?
                    I tried to explain that in my first post, but you didn't seem to understand it properly. Through no fault but my own, maybe I just confused you a bit.

I DID say something along the lines that Rock Salt wasn't particularly the only thing I would want to grow.... BUT.... I don't actually think that I would want to make a habit of growing Rock Salt at all really! Just call it a first taster!
                    It's 'ONLY' what came out as a first result in my gardening!

Of course, there are also lots of other results you can create too, so I don't particularly wish to make profits with Rock Salt at all!!

Onions will give you a nice return, and tree cuttings to saplings is good and saplings to ores is good if you dont mind waiting a RL month,
                    The onions sound like a good idea, but last time I checked (about 2-3 days ago) on Fenrir, Tree Cuttings were quite expensive to be bought at the AH, (they may have been 50k or more... can't remember exactly right now) along with fruit and wild grass seeds too.... also quite expensive!

In this case, I usually just stick with herb, or vege seeds.

but honestly, you would make more selling the seeds than using them to make rock salt, which is pretty much like loosing when gardeening,
                    Very true indeed! Rock Salt doesn't really sell for much, you're right.
                    I had a result of about 7 Rock Salts from gardening, and because I'm a fussy person in wanting to complete the stack for 12, I just decided to buy the rest at Rambroirs grocery in South Sandy instead. Very cheaply too!

its what people try to avoid usually, that and earth worms when Im trying to get Onions ..
                    Yes, onions CAN make you cry sometimes, can't they?

If you are really interested I will put in a link when I get home,,, there is a lot of confusion and mis-information about gardening out there.
                    That would probably be quite helpful. Thanks!
                    (\ /)
                    ( . .)
                    C('')('')

Comment

I now have a slightly different view on things.

According to "somepage" for gardening.....

"Gardening On Somepage"

there ARE different results, and I think of about 6 at the most for some pots.
                      I would probably choose a pot which can just get you about 2 to 4 results though, (not 4 results in one you understand. it's 1 of 4 item types is what I mean) since I don't want to fill my inventory with too much stuff.
                      I guess I'm okay with this kind of gardening randomness.

It's still quite difficult to work out which days to start on though.
                      For e.g. - lets say for a Brass Flowerpot, (going by that list on somepage) you could plant Herb Seeds, and feed with an Earth Crystal. Your resulting outcome would either be a lightning crystal, carnation, or black pepper. So how do you work out which day to start planting, so that you are going to get either one of those 3 results I just mentioned?

Pikko Pots generally tells you which days (ingame vana days) to feed your crystals, but not which starting day you should go for.

Unless it goes something like this :

For e.g. in the case of the result I mentioned above. (with a brass pot and herb seeds)
                      You feed your plant with an Earth Crystal. Does that mean you would start planting on Earthsday to get one of those 3 results?

Maybe I'm still a bit unsure here. If I am, then would there be anyone who can try to help me get my head round this please?

One last question.
                      Reading back... I've just been reminded about gardening moghancement.
                      I checked over somepage again for a few of the table types you can use for gardening moghancement.
                      I placed rusty bucktes in my mog house for fishing moghancement. Can you have more than 1 moghancement in the same mog house, or only 1? It would be a really nice advantage if you could have more than 1. Personally, for me, at least I wouldn't be in 2 minds at which one I want to go for. I can be a bit indecisive about things sometimes. /blush!
                      Last edited by Snowball; 09-15-2007, 02:27 PM.
                      (\ /)
                      ( . .)
                      C('')('')

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin401 View Post
                        If you read up on the types of pots, when to plant, feed and harvest, you can usually manage to get a more profitable yield out of your seeds. I personally use a mix of brass and arcane flowerpots and the results have been pretty decent.
                        Arcane pots are quite expensive on Fenrir I think. I'm not sure I'd have the gil to buy one.
                        (\ /)
                        ( . .)
                        C('')('')

Comment

Working...
                        X